Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I (HEART) Food Co-ops!


So I promised a many that I would post some pictures about the food co-ops that I have been using the past couple of months. P.S. any colorado viewers please remind and talk to my mom about getting this started in CO...it is wonderful!

Okay so the first one that actually comes down to Monticello is called Bountiful Baskets. Basically when a lot of people all pool their money they can get lots of fresh produce for a lot cheaper than at a grocery store. It also has a larger variety as well.

For about $15 you get an entire laundry basket full of fruits and vegetables and they also offer many other different items on a seasonal basis. Yes the fruits and vegetables are different most of the time, they work with local farmers to get the seasonal items.

The above pictures is after I have already unloaded half of the basket.

Also, a lot of the time they have super add-ons. This last time they had what they call a Mexican Pack which included tomatillos, avocados, jalepenos, garlic, onions, green onions, anaheim peppers, etc. I made green salsa and my husband loved it. Also, they had a 20lb. box of tomatoes for $7.50. I split it with my sister-in-law and my mother-in-law. That day I made green salsa, pico de gallo, and guacamole. My husband was in Mexican Heaven.

I also do a food co-op that is located in the Wasatch Front, called Crossroads Urban Center. They are a little more grassroots organization in that they really want people contributing to their communities so they require hours of service for their food co-op, as well. In this food co-op, they also offer cuts of meat, as well as produce. This last time I got boneless pork ribs, diced beef, boneless skinless chicken breast and lean ground beef. My freezer is seriously stocked up now.

I cannot say how much I love both of these organizations....I know I am a little granola-ee but I seriously do. I cannot wait till one day I can start my own food co-op or contribute more to organizations like these in the future!


Tons of tomatoes!

P.S. I know that I sound like I am selling for these organizations, but they are NON-PROFIT and try to benefit as many people as possible and truth of the matter is that the more people they have participate, the cheaper the food becomes..... 'nuff said.

2 comments:

Eldredge Fam. said...

I totally need to get into a co op. my ward has them occationally, I need to get more info. :D

Thanks for the reminder

Shalisa Hazleton said...

Tell me more about the other one!